Friday, May 18, 2007

Taking Advantage

I read a Call for Artists yesterday, responded and asked for more information. A new hotel is being built north of where I live. The hotel owners are looking for local artists to provide artwork for the facility. There will be originals in the public areas, and three reproductions (giclees) in each room. The hotel is asking for original artwork (with certain criteria) which will not be returned to the artist. Furthermore, the agreement clearly states that the hotel can use the artwork in any form they choose, because the artist is required to sign over the copyright to the hotel. They also state that the artist may or may not be credited with the work.

I wrote to the hotel contact person and asked how the artist will be compensated, but have not heard back, even though they quickly answered my email about applying.

In their favor they have specifically outlined that the artist has no rights and may not even be recognized. But what artist would agree to that? New ones! The hotel is targeting the Art Institute of Dallas, full of young creative artists looking for a future. I think that's despicable. Giving your art away will not make you famous.

I am finding it easier and more fun to do digital art now that the fear has been lifted. I am still working on the two large pieces, which happen to be grids. There are nine squares in each one so essentially it's like creating 18 small paintings that all have to relate to each other. Just another wonderful challenge.

I'm mourning the death of an artist friend, Kay Wilson, who passed last week. I knew her for many years, as part of an online artist group I belong to. We met in person at a group function in 2001. She loved to travel, and was a wonderfully sensitive artist. She will be missed.

2 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Kay. I didn't know.

Annette Bush said...

"Giving your art away will not make you famous."
I love this, Robin. It's true of cheap jobs, charity donations or family gifts. Why do other people think aritsts are gullible enough to think it will?

Congrats on getting the hang of the digital art.

I'll miss Kay's quiet presence as well. The Internet has surely expanded the numbers who touch our lives.
A