Monday, July 17, 2006

Flashes of Genius

I might have an undiagnosed case of mild bipolar disease. I never think about this when I am bored, bland, or lacking inspiration and energy. I think it now that I am in my third day of creative ideas. While I have been working on existing projects I have developed a book idea, struggled with my new photography website, and designed a new abstract series. Most of this has occurred only in my mind.

I worked so hard this weekend that when my muse finally came calling yesterday, I couldn't get up off the couch to put the design on the canvas. It was too late, I was too tired. And besides, I broke a toe on one of these big platforms that seriously reduce my room to maneuver in the studio.

So that phone call first thing this morning (7:30am!) telling me that this project had to ship today, well I about jumped out of my skin and made a second pot of coffee. I have photographed all pieces of the installation and sent them off for approval. I still have not finished the last one (the biggest at 48 x 48), but I created a digital painting so they could see my intentions for it. Much easier to delete the file than repaint the canvas. Still haven't heard back, so it looks like "shipping today" ain't gonna happen.

Had really good luck with the resin pour. Did forget that the card table isn't flat but concave, so had to overcome that before all the resin rolled right off. I put the panels up on paint cans on the floor and locked out the dogs and cats. Not a perfect solution, but it worked. The photo above is of the resin installation.

1 comment:

Martha Marshall said...

Ouch! Sorry about your toe. But I definitely can empathize with the fact that the muse seems to show up at the most inopportune times.