Sunday, July 16, 2006

Gardening as Art

I have always regarded my yard as a painting in progress. As plants grow and flower I am on a constant vigil to see what works and what doesn't. I adjust height and size and color to create the perfect compositions, different each year. I had the sprinklers rerouted this spring to assure that each special plant had enough water. That was lovely until mid-July-over-100-degree-drought conditions set in. Along with some powdery mildew and some kind of fungus.

About an hour ago I went outside to survey the garden before the heat set in. Noting the drooping impatiens, curled hibiscus leaves and sad elephant ears prostrate in the mulch, I decided to turn on the sprinklers.

What I forgot was that I had set out one of the components of my resin project out in the backyard to bake in the summer heat. I was able to rescue it before it was ruined, thank gawd. So many things to remember, so little room in my head!

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I would love to see your garden. I never thought to create compositions out of my flower beds--what a lot of work!

I have mildew on my phlox and I sprayed the leaves with a mixture of water and baking soda, about 2 tablespoons to my old windex spraybottle. It did the trick but the leaves that were affected have all browned and wilted but I have a few phlox flowers trying desperately to bloom.

Glad you saved the art work!!!

Martha Marshall said...

Maybe your garden would inspire me. I need to get outside more, as I was reminded just yesterday when I observed the fast-encroaching jungle in a back corner behind the swimming pool. It intimidates me a little, as it harbors all kinds of slithery things.