Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Women Impressionists

The featured show at the Museum at the Legion of Honor is women impressionists. I am not that fond of old art, but I'm enthralled by Mary Cassatt. I took my time examining her work, and let the crowds flow around me. I was in the zone. Walking out the front door of the museum headed towards the car, my eye was drawn to the line of surf now visible with the clearing of the fog. And there it was -- the deep orange tint of the Golden Gate bridge. I've seen it so many times, yet I'm still in awe.

The Dahlia Garden is in full bloom in Golden Gate Park. There was a handsome young photographer with a tripod setup zooming in on some macro shots, but the breeze stirred the flower heads. We started talking, and long story short, he's a kayaker and we're heading out together on Monday to Monterrey and Elkhorn Slough where there's a large otter population. Should be fun.

The De Young Museum has a Chihuly exhibit, and I've long been a fan of his organic blown glass forms. Some things were reminiscent of his installation at the Botannical Garden in Miami a couple years ago. Actually, I think the gardens were better than the austere interior of a museum to show off his work. Still, I'm glad I went to see show.

No comments: