Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Casting Resin


Resin continues to be a challenge for me. I've about conquered the poured resin that I coat photographs with, but the casting resin is a different story. Part of the problem is that there isn't a clear formula for mixing the resin with the catalyst. On Friday I tried using the standard formula from the side of the can. The results are above. It cracked to bits.

The formula (drops of catalyst per ounce of resin) depends on too many variables: 1) how many layers, and which layer it is, 2) the temperature of the workspace, 3) humidity, 4) depth of the cast. I am not a scientist and can't figure all this out.

The second casting did better -- when it cracked it didn't go all the way through to the edge. Since I was out of materials, and didn't want to try casting again, I taped off the edges and poured the other kind of resin over the top. It still sunk in the cracks, but it sealed the surface, and gave it a nice shine. And I am going to say that I intended for it to crack -- doesn't it look like ice? (wink wink)

Hey, it's art! Nothing's perfect.

Today I am resin-coating another cast piece to match. Thank goodness there are only two pieces in the project!

No comments: