Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Photography Presentations


The internet has made a big impact on how I do presentations. Now it's strictly email. I still remember making appointments to show artwork where I would have to (1) bring original art (2) bring food and drinks (3) entertain the group of designers. Those days are (thankfully) over for me since my client base is well developed. We know each other. They call me when they want something they know I can produce. In return, I know what to present because I know what they like. It's a win-win.

For the past two days I have been working on a series of photographs for two massive hotel projects. It's for room art and each project is too much volume for me to print, so I'll be collecting royalties. It hasn't been decided for sure yet, but there will be at least three pieces in each room for both locations. So far I have submitted more than 50 photos. Most of those follow the parameters that I was given, but there are a few that are out-of-the-box. My rationale for that is that if the client has never seen anything like it before (1) they can't reject something they don't know about and (2) they might love it! Experience tells me that commercial designers are always looking for something new and different.

I'm competing with other photographers on this project, so I took a lot of time making sure that each photo I presented was appropriate for the two different locations.

I'm also painting. Seems like I'm getting back into the swing of things since I've been back in town for a couple weeks now. Finally! I've got several commissions I've had for awhile but haven't been inspired. Well, the creativity is finally kicking back in and I'm rocking and rolling.

Summer has arrived in Dallas, with it's corresponding hot weather. I'm actually glad of that since I have a couple of resin pieces to complete in the next couple of weeks. One is cast resin, and that's always tricky.

My dog ate through the outside door in my back studio this week. I have no idea what inspired her to do that since she's never shown an interest in it before, in all her 7 years. There is a metal grid shelving unit blocking that door on the inside, so she knocked everything off the shelf to get in -- was a big mess! And that flimsy sheet of plywood won't last long, I'm buying a new steel door that I'll have installed this weekend. Bad dog!

No comments: