Sunday, October 23, 2005

Art Auctions

One of my clients gave me tickets to a local art auction benefiting a private museum. I noticed lots of familiar names on the paintings that were up for auction. One of the members explained to me that the donations are juried, with the winner receiving a place in the museum's collection. The others are placed in the silent auction at this well-attended benefit event. I was pleased to note that almost all the paintings were being bid on. And at good prices. People were discussing the work, and competing with each other to buy the most popular pieces.

As usual, I could not determine what made a painting popular. It had nothing to do with technique or craftsmanship. Nothing with ability to use the medium. Nothing with an artist's name or reputation. It seemed more about each person saying to themselves "I like that." It was that simple.

I think there is a lesson for me in that.

No comments: