Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Weather or Not

Point Lobos, CA

When you travel you have to take the weather as it comes. If I was on a photo assignment instead of shooting for myself I'd hunker down and wait for appropriate rays of sun to illuminate my subject. As it is, I took yesterday to travel from Berkeley to Monterey to take what photos I could. I went with another photographer who has plenty of experience in this area, which was very helpful. But it was cold and we were fogged in.

We went kayaking in Elkhorn Slough, an area teeming with wildlife. The seals have been known to launch themselves up on kayaks, and the water was churning with otters, seals, pelicans, and jellyfish, to name just a few. I was terrified of losing my Nikon in the water, so I took my new Canon G9 fully protected in it's underwater housing. Yes, I was a wuss. My friend Jimmy had his Nikon with a 300mm prime lens and a teleconverter, so the quality of the shots he got far exceeded mine. Now I'm jealous.

Even though the weather never cleared, we headed south past Monterey to Point Lobos and hiked around for a bit. It wasn't until we were on our way home that we got out of the fog and into the mid 90s. What a big difference in weather in such a small area.

A client called when I was standing on the cliff above. She told me to get ready, that I was going to be really busy when I got home. That's fine, but I'm here now.

2 comments:

Joanie Gagnon San Chirico said...

Sounds like you had the same weather we had in NH and Maine last week!

Have a great rest of the trip.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very exciting on the kayak trip but always beware of the mammals you may find yourself adopting a seal and putting it in your pool-can't believe you were a wuss with the the camera Whats the worst that could happen? Rememeber what Confusis Walker say "If it be needed and thou has forgotten most important item Thank MOM for
walmart!!!! Happy Paddling