Sunday, February 24, 2008

Packed House

Guitar Player on Bourbon St, New Orleans

The first exhibition of Texas WAX opened with a packed house reception Friday night at CAMP, 2631 Commerce St. Ste B, Dallas, TX. We were honored that Joanne Mattera, Richard from R&F Paints, and the Encausticos people all made an appearance to view the show. Like my friend Cheryl McClure remarked "you couldn't stir 'em with a stick" referring to the crowded space.

We sold two pieces that night, and I have my eye on one, too. I always like to remind my artist friends that artists buy art. Maybe we have a higher appreciation than others for the work and thought processes that go into the creation. Especially encaustic, a process that requires special tools, lots of electricity, and real technical skills. The results, as showcased in the work of Texas WAX, is well worth the effort.

Saturday I caught up with my friend Helen and took her to a few places in town to see my work. We've known each other a long time, but I always go to her house in Berkeley; this is her first time to visit mine. She hadn't seen my work before, and it was fun to visit paintings I hadn't seen in a long time. And I introduced her to my two boxers, who were very happy to make her acquaintance, since she's a serious dog lover!

Today I am working a little, designing an installation for a local hotel. And hopefully I'll get to the nursery for some poppy plants for the flower beds out front.

5 comments:

Judy Vars said...

Hi Robin,
I hope to meet Joanne Mattera and Richard some day.
Oh by the way tag
Judy V.

Walker said...

Hi Judy -- What the heck does "tag" mean?

Judy Vars said...

I got tagged the other day so I am passing it along.
Here's how it works:
1) Find a book closest to me with at least 123 pages.
2) Turn to page 123 and go down five sentences.
3) Type the next three lines into my blog.
4) Tag five other bloggers.

Martha Marshall said...

I would love to go on a Robin art tour!

Walker said...

Come on over anytime Martha! R