Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Photo Experiments

I'm working on these wacky paintings for lululemon, and I've gotten to the stage of painting the realistic element. On the first one, it's Reunion Tower, instantly recognizable on the Dallas skyline. I thought of just painting it, or an image transfer, or a combination. I have some inkjet film that my account rep at Lexjet sent to me to try. I printed a nice landscape on it and taped it to my studio window. I didn't really know what to do with it after that.

This morning my eye passed over it and a thought was generated. Would that print transfer to another surface? I coated a piece of canvas with gloss medium and laid the print down in it. I burnished. Nothing happened. The ink did not move. Several hours later I sprayed the back of the canvas, and the print started to disengage. It came off as a film of the image. Not perfect, but enough to give me another idea. I'm printing another one for further experimentation.

No comments: