Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Life Review

Black and White photo of Queen Anne's Lace wildflower,
for the Ritz-Carlton hotel guestrooms, Dallas, TX

Let's face it, I'm not a young chick anymore. On the other hand, I still feel like one, pretty much. But as I age, and lose people I love, I become more committed to living a full life. I gave up acquiring things some time ago, and have been in an extended period of examining the "things" I have. If I don't love them, or if they don't make me happy, they move on. And the things that make me feel bad when I look at them for whatever reason, those things I just throw away. There's something wonderfully final about that.

I still have a hard drive full of emails back and forth between me and my sister who died in January. I read them from time to time, I miss her so much. Today I found this gem from her:

"Grandpa Jim told me about regrets when I was fairly young. He said never end up your life regretting that you didn't do something."

That was my Dad's dad. I didn't know him very well, but loved him madly! He was outspoken and bold, characteristics not evident in my own home. I must take after him in that respect. I remember in the mid 70s sitting in the back of a tour bus in Europe writing a poem about regrets -- how I didn't intend to have any.

I've pretty much adhered to that, which is one reason why I always say yes to projects I have no idea how to do! Yesterday I had a request for a metal assemblage (8 pcs). They want old photos of the town printed on each panel. I have no idea if I can do it, but I'm sure I will learn something trying. It's an opportunity I can't pass up.

And I'm pricing the photo the Ritz chose for the additional artwork in each guestroom. They need them soon, artwork is already being installed - so my printer is really getting a workout!

No comments: