Monday, January 22, 2007

Return of Normal

Since my sister died I have been sad. It has been a struggle for me to do much more than sit on the couch and change channels. Not that I could even tell you what I watched. Time wasting, my mind on my sister, and how much I miss her.

I did a search on my email inbox yesterday, looking for an old message, and found about thirty from my sister. Some have images attached, paintings that she was working on and wanted my opinion. Some were messages about doctor visits. I can't delete them, when I see her name I feel closer.

I worked all weekend. I have 22 paintings to send to my rep in California, he will be exhibiting at the West Coast Art and Frame show in Las Vegas at the end of the month. I haven't attended this show, but two publishers called me last week and talked about going, they say it's the second biggest show of the year, now that the Decor show broke away from Art Expo in NYC. The biggest show for publishers is the Atlanta show in September.

I don't know why I am getting so much attention from publishers right now. I have been working with Modernart Editions for about eight years, but since the last editor left, haven't heard a thing from them in two years. Was surprised to get the call this week that they want to publish more of my work. I'm not that excited about it since my last royalty check was less than $100 for the quarter. However, they are still selling images from eight years ago, so they have longevity. And it's free money (passive income) after all.

I delivered the mockup on Friday, got approval, and now have a really good start on the 4' x 6' abstract canvas for a hotel's corporate offices. Maybe finish today.

Also have to complete and deliver three mockups for the huge white abstract commission for Vegas.

On Thursday I am heading to Washington DC for a photo shoot. Since the city is all about architecture, I thought this was a good time to try out a fisheye lens. I'm going to see about renting one before I buy. It would be fun to take on this trip.

I'm feeling more normal this morning.

3 comments:

Bee Skelton said...

It's good you're letting yourself tiptoe through this experience. There'll be lows and not so lows for a while I guess. Great that you can sense normal on good days. Just a thought...printing your sisters emails/images would be a belt and braces way of ensuring they don't get deleted accidentally. Once you have them on paper, maybe a piece of art will evolve. Love Bee

Emily said...

I like what Bee said about making something to hold to will embrace your sister. I'm thinking of doing something like this for my aunt and grandparents.

There's a beautiful line from the film, "Truly, Madly, Deeply" about speaking to our loved ones. They are always with us. I believe this.

Anonymous said...

Get a pretty journal...and write down things you remember about your sister and your times together...it's soooo healing.