Monday, November 07, 2005

Interruptions

Although I like to have a schedule for each day's work, I love interruptions! I find that interrupting my plans increases my creativity.

Like on Friday when a client called me last minute (yes, another "art emergency") for an additional piece to go in the bathroom of a hotel room. I rushed around madly - and finally decided to print some photography that would work with the existing pieces. I even delivered the photos that morning. Later that afternoon I got another call. They didn't want photography, they wanted something 3d. I don't have any sculpture laying around my studio, and I didn't have time to create something. I did the next best thing and sourced some architectural pieces manufactured by a friend of mine. I shot photos over the weekend and emailed them to my client. One piece was perfect. - could I deliver it before her noon meeting? Better than that, I had my friend do the delivery. Now I have included her in a project with over 30,000 hotel rooms. Model rooms will be shown this week. Decisions will be made by the end of the year.

No comments: